Monday, June 18, 2012

Lenses

We all see things differently, it's just a simple fact. No two people will look at something or someone and describe that thing or person the same way.

The reason this a fact is because we all wear lenses, like sunglasses and these lenses, color what we see.

Perhaps the most powerful lens, the lens that floods our perception with the most color is the lens of love.

Recently, my wife Robin and I went to visit my uncle and aunt. My uncle had been in declining health for some time.

We arrived at their house and after exchanging greetings and hugs at the door, my aunt led us into the bedroom where my uncle lay resting.

As I held his hand and spoke to him, I couldn't help but notice my aunt as she climbed into bed beside him and stroked his hair and rubbed his bare chest now gaunt from months of battle.

His injury of years ago, which claimed his right arm was apparent as only a thin sheet covered his lower body.

I watched as my aunt loved my uncle with her words, service and touch. The whole time, I was thinking about the rarity of such devotion.

The damages of injury, the frailty of illness, and the eminence of death are not attractive; however, my aunt did not see those things. She saw the love of her life through the powerful lens of love.

I received the expected call today of his passing. And I am reminded to look at the people, especially, my family through that strong lens.

What lens is coloring your view of the people in your life?

No comments: