Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday Marriage Minder - "Love Notes"

"I love you more today than I ever have before. You make me proud to be your wife! You are an awesome Pastor and a great man! You are my everything!"

After I had received and read that text message from my wife last night, I felt as though I could conquer the world. What man wouldn't? What man wouldn't be moved by such affirmation?

Far too often we underestimate the power of our words. Our words can lift someone's spirit to soaring heights, or grind their hearts into despair. No wonder Proverbs 18:21 in The Message, reads...

"Words kill, words give life; they're either poison
or fruit—you choose."



Our words can have a tremendous effect and affect on our marriages. Rather than pick apart my weaknesses, Robin chose words that built me up. Words like, love, proud, awesome, great and everything. Powerful words, and Robin knows that words are my love language.

Even in situations where there may be more negatives than positives present in a marriage, I truly believe that focusing on those positives - praising those words and behaviors that build, rather than destroy - will cause the negatives to eventually shrink out of sight.

For an excellent example of the efficacy of uplifting words in a marriage relationship, read the Song of Songs together as a couple. In this Old Testament book, you will see the playful and loving back-and-forth poetic banter between two lovers. The passages read just like love notes, written and placed in the conspicuous places of that day.

Are you struggling in a certain area of your marriage? Try focusing on and praising your spouse in the areas of your marriage that are good. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

No matter if you speak it, write it, text it, tweet it or facebook it, your words can contain life or death, praises or insults. By choosing your words - you choose the effect your words will have. Choose well!

For Marriages and Families,

Dave

No comments: